Tuesday, December 29, 2009

dollface

Today I received a birthday gift in the mail from my good friend MJ. Some gorgeous leather and lambswool gloves. Along with the gloves came a birthday card (en francais) featuring my childhood pal Barbie. It got me to thinking about my affinity for dolls. It probably stems for my love of fashion, or maybe it's the other way around? No matter, here's some of my favorites.


Blythe is one of my most coveted dolls. The birth of Blythe in 1972 was a humble beginning. After only one year on the market the dolls were pulled off shelves due to low sales. The doll with the colour changing eyes made it's return in 2001 with the production of NeoBlythe. Now Blythe is blowing up across the globe as one of the most popular makeover victims on earth.











While Blythe dolls aren't cheap (especially original 1972 girls), they cost pennies compared to these next beauties. Enchanted Dolls are ball jointed porcelain dolls handmade in Vancouver by doll maker Marina Bychkova. These custom made, one of a kind dolls are probably the most beautiful dolls I have ever seen.


the newest Enchanted Doll up for bidding on Ebay 
Lily





Emerald



Bride of Frankenstein





Growing up I was big on paper dolls too. In fact I've slowly been working on my own paper doll book in the past few months. I've still got a long way to go. Here's some new and vintage examples.













If you're into dolls you should check out eloai.com where you can build and dress your own cyber dolls. It's a fun time. Here's one of my creations. It's a pre-bang self portrait.







Japan is big on dolls too. There's a huge doll culture there so I thought I'd share some images of wooden Japanese kokeshi dolls.











Finally I'll leave you with some other images of random dolls as well as some art featuring doll like creatures that I'm into.












playing Barbies with Semi


more kawaii dolls









1 comment: