Monday, December 21, 2009

My mom almost let me get a perm.

I was chillen with my friend Semi yesterday and doing five year old rockstar cool dude things. Somersaults, songs, pancakes, jumping, spinning... all that good stuff. To end our day together we watched a movie and made popcorn, lotsa butter. Got me thinking about all those films of yesteryear and other childhood curiosities. Everything seemed so much MORE then. The following is a collection of recollection.


You may notice a trend among many of the following clips. I grew up without cable television, so much of my television experience was a bit out of my generation. Mostly Sunday nights (Wonderful World of Disney) which was recorded onto VHS to be watched over and over again, including commercials.


Bedknobs and Broomsticks - Beautiful Briny Sea


Mary Poppins - I Love to Laugh



Robin Hood - Love



The Mighty Hercules - Medusa's Sceptre



Spider Man Theme



The New Adventures of Kimba the White Lion


Astro Boy - The Great Meltdown


Jem - Depends on the Mood I'm In



Humphrey Bear - Put it in the Bag



Fantasia - Pastoral Symphony



Sunkist Commercial 1987


Don't Put it in Your Mouth


The Hobbit


Okay, so you get the point with the videos. Although I was a girly girl, I also played with the big little bro a lot, so I was into Barbie and Matchbox. Pretty much anything with a ramp I was totally stoked on.


My favorite Barbies, Hawaiian Fun Barbie and Ken
(I always named her Claudia)

1989 Holiday Barbie

Fisher Price (with elevator!)

Playmobil and McDonalds toys




And then of course, there was the books. I just dug out my old copy of "The Twelve Princesses". It's a read and paint book, so it has some nice colouring outside the lines. Unfortunately I'm unable to scan at the moment and I can't find any images on line of my copy, SO I'm going to post some even prettier illustrations of the classic tale, drawn by Kay Neilsen (who later was involved in illustrating Fantasia). Then some more illustrations I remember well from childhood.

The Twelve Dancing Princesses
illustrated by Kay Neilsen


Alligator Pie
written by Dennis Lee, illustrated by Frank Newfeld



Cover art for Disney's The Nutcracker Suite on vinyl
(included storybook insert)

Music was really big for me too right from a young age. My first musical recollection is spinning in my babysitter/neighbor's living room to this song, when I was about two. I haven't stopped dancing since.


I was also into jamming on my Casio SK1

This post was too fun for me (note its length). I think I'll have to leave it at to be continued... there's so much more memories. I'll leave you with some ponies, particularly the very ponies I had on my bedroom walls.


GOOGLE THAT PONYSHIT!

2 comments:

  1. My Mom totally let me get a perm, in Grade 8!!! I Lov'd it, i'd do it again ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're a perm- face, the both of yas--

    charming post Svet- i have many of the same childhood mem's
    The Jem song is truly outstanding, and i love the Alligator pie pics!

    love YOU!

    ReplyDelete